Potomac

Lord Baltimore granted 600 acres to Edward Offutt in 1714, which is the present day Potomac Village. The land grant was near the Tehogee Indian Trail where River Road runs today. This Indian trade route was built by the Canaze Indian nation in 1716.

The small community became known as Offutts Crossroads in the 18th century and served farmers and travelers. The area grew to a community of 100 individuals by the time of the Civil War and consisted of two general stores, a blacksmith shop and a post office.

Offutts Crossroads was renamed Potomac by John McDonald in 1881 for the Potomac River. The history of the name change came about since postal officials preferred brief names.

Potomac experienced growth by the turn of the 20th century. The general store operator built a house on the corner of Falls and River Roads. Additional residential houses were built throughout the 1920’s and 1930’s. By the 1950’s suburbanization hit many communities in Montgomery County. In turn, Potomac transformed from a rural farming area to the suburban community that it is today.

The Perry Store is one of the few original buildings in Potomac Village that was restored and still stands today. In addition, many old farmhouses remain within suburban developments.

Today Potomac is the seventh most top-educated American small town rated by Forbes. And the public schools are among the top rated schools in Montgomery County and the nation. The elementary schools include Bells Mills, Beverly Farms, Potomac, Seven Locks and Wayside. The middle schools are Cabin John and Herbert Hoover, which feed into Winston Churchill High School.


Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.